My photo
Writer/Editor/Blogger

Thursday, June 5

Idols are Horcruxes!

Explanations first.

A horcrux is a ficticious magical object created by JK Rowling in Harry Potter. It is an object in which you can split your soul and keep it. If you create a horcrux, you basically make parts of yourself which helps you survive longer, since your killer would need to destroy all the horcruxes you make. For an example: Voldemort had seven horcruxes (a locket, a diary, a snake, a goblet, a ring, a diadem, and Harry Potter himself)


During any hindu puja, there is a matra that the pundits recite so as to "bring life" into the idol that is to be worshipped. There are thousands of pujas that happen on a single day. That means, "life is brought" into thousands of idols by the pundits. We all know God is one, so how can She (only a woman possesses the power of creation) reside in so many idols? I found an answer from Harry Potter- She splits her soul, so that every idol worshipped can contain a part of Her.


Now the real post. (I am not trying to point out that idol worshipping is equivalent to performing dark arts)


Well, I thought about this for a long time- during Durga Pujas, during Saraswati Pujas and during all pujas in between. I chewed my mother's brain too asking about this immaterial but interesting question that pondered in my brain. If God was one, how can there be so many idols of the same God containing her life? It was rather recently that Lord Voldemort, rather JK Rowling who helped me out. God is considered to be all powerful. So, definitely She knows how to split herself. So, does that mean idols are horcruxes? Maybe, atleast thats how I look at them now. Well, atleast they are not the work of the dark arts...


Random thoughts of my jobless mind! What a theory... looking forward to your comments on this one!

7 comments:

Harsha said...

I believe every orthodox moms n grandmas wud buy ur idea fr nethng.. it ll definitely help them answer the hundred of questions kids ask when it comes to believing god and practicing idol worship.. but isn’t it interesting that we need the help of JK Rowling to answer the doubts on our religious beliefs?

Tunai said...

kon level e bhabo tumi..???????/
evn im findin similarities now.... but trust me never did i think bout it this way......

Debolina said...

Harsha, I actually would not call it strange...there are a lot of things you will find in this world that cannot be explained. And when you are least expecting it, you find it- from the strangest places. I guess, thats what happened to me too. I closed the harry potter book and looked up and saw a saraswati statue and "Eureka!" :-)

Punit Rastogi said...

hmmm

nice thought
nice to know that even u think in these lines

my buddy after all

lots more to suggest to u

if u cn n want to listen :P

The PHOENIX said...

BUt one question if GOD has a soul.,. he must have a body.,. in which the soul stays so isnt GOD as mortal as us????

Imran Soudagar said...

I would better not argue on if idols are Gods or no. But I would like to correct you that J.K Rowling is not the first one to mention horcrux. If you have read the "Arabian Nights" and such other stories you would have known of objects similar to a horcrux. And I must also make you aware that J.K Rowling has not created everything in Harry Potter, she has in fact used creatures and objects from mythology from allover the world. Be it the Werewolves or the philosopher's stone, in fact we Indians refer to it as the "Paras Phathar" that is supposed to be found in snake's or found in deserts. And the Centaur's and the Giants, the half bloods and the Magical Wands or Dementors. All are borrowed from various stories and mythologies. The only genius in her was that she mixed all these to create a new world and the way she writes is really awesome.

Debolina said...

I would like to clarify to Imran Soudagar here, that in no way in the article have I said or tried to imply that JK Rowling has created everything original or where the things actually originate from. This post is completely about the CONNECTION I found between the two, when I was reading Harry Potter. Solely that and nothing else at all. So I honestly don't understand your attempt at "correcting" me.